Unfortunately, the worldwide nature of the Internet has made it a dangerous place to conduct business and illegitimate scams affect virtually every marketplace. The following suggestions might seem severe but they will save you a lot of grief!
What we do
- We review all email inquiries that originate from our email links for scams and bogus information and delete offenders before they reach sellers. (This is done in batches, several times a day, so you may notice a delay if you test the system.)
- Once we identify an offender, we either block their ability to get past our home page, or block them from seeing the site entirely.
- We report IP and email addresses of fraudulent activity to assorted authorities and watchdog organizations (below).
What we do not do
- We do not get involved in transactions between buyers and sellers, in any manner, at any time.
- We do not make any promises or guarantees about the condition of items for sale.
- We are not liable for any problems or expenses that result from transactions or the use of our website.
What you should do
- Verify the identity of the other party using sites such as MelissaData.com.
- Insist on talking to buyers and sellers on the telephone.
- Do not send anybody banking information, or the remainder of a check made out for more than the asking price.
- Do not assume checks or money orders are legitimate until cleared by your bank.
- Do not let vehicles or documents out of your sight until you have the cash in hand.
- Do not purchase a vehicle of value that has not been inspected by you or someone you trust.
- Do not agree to ship a vehicle without experience or assistance from a professional shipper.
- If you deal outside the United States, use a professional broker or escrow service of your choosing, not one recommended by the buyer.
- Report scam attempts to Webmaster@AntiqueCar.com and we will block their access.
- Remember, AntiqueCar.com does not represent the buyer or seller, participate in transactions, or vouch for the integrity of the buyers or sellers who use this website. BUYERS AND SELLERS BEWARE - All transactions are your responsibility.
Some helpful tools
- You can verify IP addresses and telephone numbers using the 'IP Location' and 'ZIP/City/Phone' directories at MelissaData.com. Caution: There are hundreds such directories and the results will vary. Questionable answers do not necessarily mean there is a problem.
- AOL does a pretty good job of preventing scams but they still occur. You can learn more about AOL policies here and you can report scams to TOSSpam@aol.com - but don't expect a reply!
- And if you are really mad, you can contact the FBI through the Internet Crime Complaint Center.
Here is the beginning of a classic scam. Notice the reference to AntiqueCar.com
I'm now in London, United Kingdom. I just moved in London because my wife is from here and she wanted to be closer to her parents as they are old and very ill. We are expecting a baby in a few weeks and I really want to improve the old house we bought when we move in time for the baby. I have bought the vehicle back in the United States ,but unfortunately I couldn't bring it here. For that I have to pay a very big fee and I will also have to start an individual procedure for the vehicle through the Government and I really can't afford those expenses right now with the baby on the way. This is why I'm selling the car for such a cheap price, besides I'm in a great need of time and money.
Besides...a car with a left hand steering wheel is not useful to me here in U.K.
This beautiful 1961 Chevrolet Impala CONVERTIBLE is in USA now deposited at a local shipper,but shipping is not an issue, as I've already arranged for it. If you want to buy it, the total cost is $4000( i have paid the shipping taxes myself when i was in US ) the car will arrive on trailer in 3-4 days, right in front of your house.
It will come with 30 days money back guarantee so you can test it as long as you want.If you're interested I'll need your full name and address to arrange the shipping. Also I'll forward the details to antiquecar.com, the site where i listed the car for sale regarding this transaction.They will contact you soon with more informations If you have any other questions feel free to email me.
I have contacted the antiquecar staff and they told me that they have sent an email to you regarding this transaction.
I have a purchase protection account at them and they emailed me telling me that they forwarded all the details to you.
I have a $3000 deposit at them since I'm out of the country and this way we will both be protected .
I suggest you to look over that email one more time if they contacted you already because i have requested $3000 advanced payment and then i will proceed with the delivery.
Here are my payment details:
Here is another one
Professional scammers typically try to lure you in with a series of emails but eventually you will get a letter similar to the one below. Notice that they do not ask for more information about the condition of the vehicle, as you might expect from a legitimate buyer. Also notice the poor use of English.
Thanks for your prompt response and pictures of Chevrolet has been forwarded to our client.My client has finally accepted your price for the Chevrolet at $24,500, he hopes the engine runs good.He can't wait to have Chevrolet in his possession.
However he has asked me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $29,900 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by him before he traveled to Japan on a business trip,for a previous Chevrolet and its shipment charges etc,but it was unfortunately sold.The amount on the check he deposited for the car is bigger than what should be paid to you now, so the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your Chevrolet the pickup from its present location,shipping charges and other necessary shipping arrangements required.
Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of $24,500 when payment gets to you and refund the balance of ($5,400) to his agent via western union money transfer or Money Gramm for him to be able to make arrangement for the pickup and to offset shipping charges.
After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him, our agent will contact you and come pick up the Chevrolet and move to the shippers to be shipped to my customer.
Confirm this and provide Full Names,Contact Address and phone number for the check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier. Please acknowledge the offer so that we can instruct payment sentout to you immediately. We will arrange a pick up of the Chevrolet,once you confirm payment
Treat as urgent
NB:i will like you to call me if you have any further details you may wish to know:
And here is another one
Attn: _______ Thanks for your prompt respond to my previous mail to you about your vehicle. May i use this opportunity to let you know that I got intouch with my client immediately i received your mail, with the current conditions of your vehicle including the pics you've sent to me, he was satisfied with the conditions and the price ($9,300) and willing to proceed on the transaction without any further delay.
May i use this opportunity to let you know that my client is really willing to buy this vehicle from you. We have discussed about the payment mode and he is willing to send you a cheque payment. The cheque will come in a sum of $16,220 which the shipping cost has already been included. You will have to send the shipping difference of( $3,300) to the shipping agent when you get the cheque cleared. My client would have preffered to come for a test drive, but my unfortunately his hands are tigth. This is the more reason why he his making arrangement with the shipping agent which you will have to make arrangement with him on how the pickup of the vehicle will be done when you get the cheque payment cleared.
I will want you to furnish me with the name which the cheque should be made payable to and the address which the payment should be forward to as soon as possible.
Hope to hear from you shortly.
With kind regards.