Nash History: Charles Nash founded Nash Motors in 1916 and it eventually became the automotive division of the Nash-Kelvinator Corporation. He bought the Thomas B. Jeffery Company in Wisconsin, who built a "Rambler", and he built the "Ajax" and the "Nash Ajax Light Six" in the 1920s. The 1932 Nash Ambassador was among the first vintage era automobiles with a synchromesh transmission. In 1924 Nash bought the LaFayette Motors factory in Wisconsin to make his cars and offered a LaFayette model from 1934 to 1937. In 1941 Nash mass produced the Rambler, the first unibody constructed vehicle in the United States and a leader in the American compact market. Nash merged with the Hudson Motor Car Company in 1954, which became the AMC (American Motors Corporation) in 1954.