Menu

1910 Ford T Touring

This very early 1910 Model T Touring car #9262 was assembled on August 17, 1909 and was purchased new by Edward Short of Onsted, Michigan. It was given registration tag number 3993 by the State of Michigan. Mr. Short kept the car until 1919 when it was sold to Victor Billmeyer, also of Onsted, Michigan. When the scrap drives of WWII were taking place, Mr. Billmeyer carefully hid the car in a barn under straw to save it from the scrappers. He kept the car until 1959 when it was sold to Eugene Eldredge of Adrian, Michigan. Mr Eldredge owned the car until 2013 when it was sold the current and fourth owner.
The restoration of this car was completed in about 1970. The restorer was the well-known, Leonard Davis. Davis was one of the foremost restorers of brass era cars in the Detroit area. He worked for many of the premier, early collectors including Donald Gilmore, Burton Upjohn, Dick Teague and the Henry Ford Museum. Davis restored the Henry Ford Museum’s famous early 1909 touring car #839. Eldredge was enamored with the Henry Ford Museum car and had Davis restore this car to resembled #839. After being restored, Eldredge showed the car at The Old Car Festivals during the 1970s and stored it in his museum-like garage. It was hardly driven during Eldredge’s ownership.
This is an extremely correct and proper car. It retains its original open valve engine, one-piece pan, square hole transmission cover, early front and rear end assemblies, steering column, body, brass, etc. etc. etc. At the time of the restoration, the car was fitted with early 1909 style front fenders (without the front “bills”) and the original color was changed from green to red so that it would look like an early 1909.
After purchasing the car in 2013, the current owner serviced the car as needed and has driven it sparingly. The gas tank was replaced but the original one remains with the car. The car starts easily and runs well. It still runs on its original 5 ball Kingston carburetor and the original brass, two-piece timer. It runs on both battery and magneto. When its cold, it usually starts on less than four, gentle, pulls of the crank.
The paint is in excellent overall condition showing hardly any wear and is consistently glossy throughout. The black leather interior looks like new as does the top. The top is fitted with a full set of side curtains. The car has Atwood Castle side lamps and E&J headlamps and tail lamp, which are in excellent condition as are the other brass accessories including the windshield, carbide generator, horn, speedometer, etc. It is hard to believe that this restoration is nearly 50 years old, as it still presents extremely well inside and out, top and bottom. The pedals and brass steering quadrant show only the most minimal amount of wear. None of the chassis components show any type of wear, repair or pitting. The body is tight and solid. This was always a good, well-preserved, original car.
Included with the sale of the car is the original State of Michigan registration tag, copies of the original Ford Motor Company build sheet, original photos of the car prior to restoration, lots receipts and documents from the restoration, etc. Also included is a new set of Rootlieb, late 1909-1910 front fenders (with the “bills”) should the next owner want to replace the existing early 1909 fenders.
This is a great opportunity to purchase a real, early production, 1910 Model T touring car. Unlike most cars, it has not been assembled from parts and has a known, documented four-owner history from new. Proper, early Model Ts rarely come up for sale. This car is ready to show or drive. The car is reasonably priced at 55,000.00. It is located near Detroit, Michigan and has a clear and current title. I have over 120 photos showing virtually every part of this car in detail that I will be glad to send to seriously interested buyers. Please email: motoringicons@hotmail.com or call 734-730-4274. Thank you very much.