kenworth History: The Gerlinger brothers started what was to become the Kenworth Truck Company by building logging trucks in 1914. However by 1917 they were out of money and sold the company to Edgar K. Worthington and his partner Captain Frederick Kent. They named the company the Gersix Manufacturing Company but in 1923 renamed it the Kenworth Truck Company, producing 80 trucks the following year. Kenworth was the first truck company to use only diesel engines and to put the cab over the engine. In 1945 The Pacific Car & Foundry Company bought Kenworth.