Studebaker Truck History: The Studebaker Brothers started the Studebaker Corporation in 1911, they made the country's first automobile test track in 1926 and started to build trucks in 1937. Their trucks included a line of 2 1⁄2 ton 6x6 and 5 ton 6x4 trucks and a M29 Weasel track vehicle during World War II. After the war they produced an E Series of Studebaker trucks that included half ton, 3/4 ton, and larger sizes. They also produced the Transtar family of trucks between 1956 and 1964. Between 1960 and 1964 Studebaker came out with the Champ line of light duty pickup trucks.
Military vehicles kept Studebaker afloat during the Great Depression war years but by the 1950s General Motors, Ford and Chrysler proved too much so they merged with Packard to be called the Studebaker-Packard Corporation. However by 1956 they were out of money again and they closed the doors for good in 1964.