Willys-Overland-Knight History: Claude Cox built the Overland in Indianapolis, Indiana, from 1905 to 1908. John Willys purchased the Overland Automotive Division of the Standard Wheel Company in 1908 and four years later renamed it Willys-Overland Motor Company. From 1912 to 1918, Willys was the number two auto maker in the U.S. after Ford
In 1913 John Willys bought the rights to make Charles Knight's sleeve-valve engine,calling it the Willys-Knight, and then bought the Stearns Company in Cleveland to build the Stearns-Knight vehicle. The Willys-Overland Whippet was introduced in 1926 . In the economic depression of the 1930s, a number of Willys automotive brands faltered. Stearns-Knight was liquidated in 1929. Whippet production ended in 1931; its models were replaced by the Willys Six and Eight. Production of the Willys-Knight ended in 1933.